Basics of Coordinate Geometry
Coordinate Geometry is a very interesting chapter in mathematics. playing with coordinates and graphs, am I right?
This is an introduction or you can say basics of the coordinate geometry. I hope you will be enjoying learning coordinate geometry chapter.
Here we learn the concept of coordinate geometry. Basically the X-axis, Y-axis, Four Quadrants, concept of positive
and negative axis etc.
We learnt ;-
1. To locate the position of an object or a point in a plane, we require two perpendicular lines.
2. When Perpendicular lines intersect each other there is formation of four quadrants namely first quadrant (1st) ,
Second quadrant ( 2nd), Third quadrant (3rd) & Fourth Quadrant ( 4th).
3. Intersecting point is called origin.
4. Horizontal line is called X-axis while vertical line is called y-axis.
5. X-axis is positive right side of the origin while negative in left side of the origin.
6. Y – axis is positive above the origin and negative below the origin.
7. Particular location is defined by the length traveled in X-axis called X-coordinate or abscissa followed by the length traveled in Y-axis c called y-coordinate or ordinate . Using comma( , ) we separate X & Y Coordinates.
8. IF the abscissa of a point is x and the ordinate is y then (x,y) are called coordinates of the point.
9. The coordinates of a point on the x-axis are of the form (x,o) & and that of the point on the y-axis are (0,y)
10. The coordinates of the origin is (0,0).
11.. The coordinates of the first quadrant are of the form ( + , + )
The coordinates of the second quadrant are of the form ( – , + )
The coordinates of the third quadrant are of the form ( – , – ).
The coordinates of the fourth quadrant are of the form ( – , + ).
12. If x is not equal to y then, (x,y) is not equal to (y , x ) and (x,y) equal to (y,x) if x=y.
I hope you understand how to graph the points also in a coordinate plane or Cartesian Plane.
next Video or lesson we will learn to graph the points with a lot of examples in different ways.