DIESEL ENGINES Sample Question Papers for DIPLOMA AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING
TERM END EXAMINATIONS
DIPLOMA AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING
Duration -3 Hours Max Marks: 60
Note: 1. Attempt any FIVE questions.
2. All questions carry equal marks.
- Discuss how diesel is rated for antiknock quality and explain how the Cetane number is determined in a laboratory.
- Describe the construction and working of the jerk type fuel injection pump.
- Describe the mechanism of spray formation and discuss the fuel spray characteristics.
- What is meant by delay period and what are the factors that affect the delay period?
- What are the requirements of a combustion chamber in a diesel engine and what are their design objectives?
- Explain the variables that affect the performance of an automotive diesel engine and describe how the engine performance maps are obtained.
- Describe with suitable sketches, the various stages of combustion in a diesel engine.
- List the major differences between the actual cycle and the air standard cycle.
- Why the efficiency of the actual cycle is lower than that of the air standard cycle. List the various losses in an actual engine.