Sample paper for Diploma in Electrical Engineering–Power Electronics-Model Question Paper for Electrical Engineering Power Electronics
TERM END EXAMINATIONS
DIPLOMA IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING SEMESTER-V, YEAR-3
Duration -3 Hours Max Marks: 60
Note: 1. Attempt any FIVE questions.
2. All questions carry equal marks.
1. How is power diodes classified? Give the main features of each type.
2. What is a PUT? How is it different from other power electronic devices? What is its application? Draw its i-v characteristics.
3. Draw circuits for the following:
- Single phase semi-conductor dc motor drive
- phase full converter dc motor drive.
4. Why do regulators always use negative feedback? Why not positive feedback? What would happen if positive feedback is used?
5. Draw the circuit of a single phase half wave rectifier feeding a resistive load. Derive expression for various performance indices.
6. What is an inverter? Is it used in small power applications or high power applications or both?
7. Draw the circuit of Morgan chopper and explain its working. Draw waveforms of different currents and voltages.
8. What is an ac regulator? Give some of its applications. Discuss the types of control used in it.
9. What is static var system? Draw and explain the TCR-FC and TSC-TCE circuits.